Friday, March 13, 2009

March 13th - Experimental Photography

Light TrailsExperimental photography - Sometimes it works. Sometimes it backfires. Sometimes people get hurt. Sometimes it hurts the eyes. I haven't yet decided what this one does. Or doesn't. I was just playing around with my new radio slaves (wireless things to trigger remote strobes) and a wide angle lens and came up with this. I held the camera at arm's length, pointing right at me, and rotated it about 180 degrees and hit the shutter release - slow shutter speed makes trails out of the lights in the living room behind me (Yes, those are still our Christmas lights. Yes, we leave them up all year - they make a really nice low light for watching movies on the telly) and then the strobe freezes anything in its path, like me in this case. And the strobes are the bright lights that left no trails. I tweaked the contrast a bit in Photoshop, but the rest is pure science.
1/5th sec. f/8 iso 800

Oh and I almost forgot...
The Great Twinkie Experiment - Episode VI: Snoresville is here.

8 comments:

  1. And sometimes they turn out really cool - great experiment! Keep experimenting...

    So, how's that 12-24 treating you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it....Nice JOB. and keep those Halloween decorations out as well, they make scary sets for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool effect - off camera lighting certainly allows you to get really creative. I've just ordered another set of triggers - now just impatiently waiting their arrival.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I got to wondering: First curtain shutter? Camera rotating counter-clockwise?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes counter-clockwise. And Yes, I think it was on front curtain sync. I need to read more on that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Canon cameras won't 2nd curtain sync unless there is a dedicated flash on the hotshoe. Anything else is 1st curtain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - how interesting! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete